The Inside The Revolution book tour began yesterday with an hour-long interview on Michael Medved’s show. I’ve long been an admirer of Michael’s, but it was the first time he has had me on the program. It was a great way to begin.
He asked me what the news of the book was. I led with the details I’m reporting on the apocalyptic, messianic religious beliefs of Iran’s leadership and how their End Times views are driving Iranian foreign policy. He was interested in this, but respectfully disagreed, saying the real news was all the reporting I’ve done on how many millions of Muslims have left Islam and come to faith in Jesus Christ over the past 30 years, and particularly since 9/11. We spent much of the hour talking about both topics, which was particularly interesting because Michael is Jewish and does not believe Jesus is the Messiah.
We took quite a few calls and there many intriguing questions. My favorite came right at the end of the show. A young man was quite upset with my assessment that Iran’s leaders want to destroy the U.S. and Israel, saying I don’t know what I’m talking about. There wasn’t much time to answer him in detail, so I suggested that he not even buy the book, just find it in a bookstore or library and turn to pages 26-27 and 155-156. Here are just a few of the quotes I’ve included in the book:
- “God willing, with the force of God behind it, we shall soon experience a world without the United States and Zionism.” — Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- “Today, the time for the fall of the satanic power of the United States has come, and the countdown to the annihilation of the emperor of power and wealth has started.” — Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- “Get ready for a world minus the U.S.” — Mahmoud Ahmadinejad
- “It is the mission of the Islamic Republic of Iran to erase Israel from the map of the region.” — Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khameini
- “The end of the U.S. will begin in Iraq. As the Imam [Khomeini] said, ‘One day the U.S., too, would be history.” — Supreme Leader Khameini
- “The American regime can expect a resounding slap and devastating fist-blow from the Muslim nation for its support of the Zionist crimes and criminals.” — Supreme Leader Khameini
The real question isn’t whether the Iranian leadership is calling for the U.S. and Israel to be wiped out, it’s whether they really mean it. That’s a question I spend quite a bit of time on in the book, and my conclusion is that yes, they really mean it. They are devout Shia Muslim Radicals, and they’re not kidding about their passion to bring about the end of the world and usher in the era of the Islamic Messiah. But I will leave it to readers to make their own assessment.
Two more notes:
1) I’m watching with interest that Morocco — a key moderate Islamic country that I devote two chapters to — choosing this weekend to sever diplomatic ties with Iran because of Tehran’s radicalism and belligerence, even as President Obama pursues direct diplomatic negotations with Ahmadinejad.
2.) We must watch with concern North Korea’s dangerous and destabilizing moves. They have cut off the hotline with South Korea, mobilized its million-man army, are preparing to test fire a new missile, and talking openly about war. Not sure yet what it means, but I’m praying for peace.