“The White House will shelve Bush administration plans to build a missile-defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic, a move likely to cheer Moscow and roil the security debate in Europe,” reports the Wall Street Journal this morning.
“Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell confirmed Thursday that a ‘major adjustment’ is planned and said the decision was made to better protect U.S. forces and allies in Europe from Iranian missile attacks. The U.S. is basing its move on a determination that Iran’s long-range missile program hasn’t progressed as rapidly as previously estimated, reducing the threat to the continental U.S. and major European capitals, according to current and former U.S. officials.”
President Obama is making his announcement to abandon the defense of the Czech Republic (and the rest of Europe and the U.S.) on the 70th anniversary of the Soviet invasion of Poland.
This is a dramatic victory for Czar Putin and his allies in the Kremlin who have threatened to re-launch the nuclear arms race if the U.S. dared defend herself and her allies from Russia, Iranian and other missile threats.
Separately, the Pentagon is preparing to hold a major joint missile defense exercise in Israel in October, according to a report in the Jerusalem Post.
HEADLINES TO TRACK:
- Barack Obama surrenders to Russia on Missile Defence
- Amb. Dore Gold: What Happened To The U.S. Deadline on Iran?
- IDF to remove 100 roadblocks across West Bank
- U.N. Smears Israeli Self-Defense As ‘War Crimes’: A one-sided report on the Gaza war lets Hamas off the hook
- Israeli President Peres: Goldstone Report makes mockery of history; President joins criticism of UN report probing Israeli offensive in Gaza, says it legitimizes terror, ignores Israel’s right, obligation to defend itself
- Osama Bin Laden in New Message: Stop the War Or We Will Continue to Fight You ‘On All Possible Fronts’ – Like We Did Against the USSR Until It Disintegrated; Our Weapon Is Our Patience, Victory Will Come From Allah;el
* GIVE: Would you like to help The Joshua Fund bless Israel and her neighbors with food, clothing, medical supplies and other relief aid, especially as we pray for peace and prepare for the growing possibility of a war with Iran? A gift of $50, $100, $250 or more would make an enormous difference, as would becoming a monthly financial partner. Learn more at www.joshuafund.net.