UPDATE: Mosab’s first global TV interview will be tonight at 9pm eastern on CNN International’s Christiane Amanpour.
(Nashville, Tennessee) — Yesterday morning, I had the opportunity to finally meet Mosab Hassan Youssef for the first time. We spoke last year by phone several times, but this was the first time we had ever met in person. We spent about an hour together with several of our colleagues here at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel, site of the National Religious Broadcasters convention. We talked at length about his fascinating new book, Son of Hamas, and the enormous challenges new facing him as he explains to the world why he renounced Islam and became a follower of Jesus Christ, and why he chose to become a spy against Hamas for the State of Israel for ten years.
Later, Mosab was my guest at the NRB “International Luncheon.” At the end of my remarks on “Israel, The Iran Threat and Modern Day Lessons From The Book of Esther,” I introduced him, explained a little of his story, described a bit of the book, and invited him to come up to the podium to share from his heart. He spoke for about five minutes, and received three standing ovations. However, what had been a very joyful meeting in the morning between us as two brothers – brought together by our mutual love for Jesus Christ — had turned very sad by lunch. Just moments before the luncheon began, Mosab learned the news through various Middle Eastern news services that his father and family disowned him. He was deeply pained and visibly shaken, but as he spoke he said he loved his family and would never disown them. What’s more, he vowed to follow his Savior and Lord, Jesus Christ, no matter what, and he said he was at war with “the god of Islam” to liberate the Palestinian people and help them find freedom in Christ.
I was impressed with Mosab — his faith, his love for his people, and his great courage. And as I watched him speak to the NRB audience, I thought of Matthew 19:29-30, when Jesus told His disciples that “everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first.”
- Please continue praying for Mosab as he embarks on a series of very important media interviews.
- [To view updated media schedule from www.sonofhamas.com, please click here.]
- Pray that the joy of the Lord would be his strength.
- Pray that the Lord would show him what to study in the Bible every day.
- Pray that the Lord would continue to surround him with strong Christian brothers who can teach him, disciple him, mentor him, and encourage him through this challenging season.
- Pray that he can communicate the gospel of Jesus Christ in the power of the Holy Spirit.
- Pray for his father, mother and siblings to come to know Christ personally, so they too can be forgiven of their sins and go to heaven for all eternity.
- Pray that millions of Palestinians and other Muslims will hear the gospel through him and that many will come to faith in Christ.
- Please pray, too, John 12:49 (NIV) for him, that the Father would command him “what to say, and how to say it.”
You must be logged in to post a comment.