UPDATE: Details of the new UK cabinet emerge….see below…
David Cameron, leader of the UK’s center-right Tory Party, today became the new Prime Minister of Great Britain.
The good news: he understands the severity of Iran’s nuclear threat; has likened Islamic extremism to Naziism; supported the war in Iraq and opposed calls to cut and run; supported the war in Afghanistan and resisted calls to cut the number of British troops there; refuses to unilaterally surrender the UK’s nuclear deterrence; he’s part Jewish; he has publicly declared himself a Zionist; and he has taken pro-Israel positions in the past, including Israel’s right to defend herself in the war against Hamas in 2009.
The not-so-good news: Cameron supports a two-state solution between the Israelis and Palestinians, which by definition requires dividing Israel and carving up pieces of Jerusalem; he has described East Jerusalem as “occupied” territory; he has been sharply critical of Israeli settlements; he leads a weak political party, holding only 306 seats, well short of a majority (total seats in the British parliament: 650), and is thus dependent on left-of-center political parties; and to gain power, Cameron built a political coalition with Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg (whose party won just 57 seats). Clegg has been so severely hostile to Israel that he actually called for an arms embargo against the Jewish State in 2009.
Update, Tuesday, 6:23pm eastern: Nick Clegg named Deputy Prime Minister
Will David Cameron be a friend to Israel as the rest of the world — and nearly all of Europe, and now the White House — isolates Israel? I pray the answer is yes, but it remains to be seen. Given the coalition he has just built, I must say I’m concerned.
THE COALITION CABINET (source: Daily Mail)
- David Cameron is part Jewish
- Cameron describes himself as a “Zionist”
- Video clip of Cameron discussing the seriousness of Iran’s nuclear threat
- Cameron backed Iraq war, and refused calls to cut and run
- Cameron refused to surrender in Iraq and has equated Islamic extremism to Naziism
- David Cameron: Cut in UK Afghan troop levels ‘unlikely’
- Cameron gives a 2010 interview to the UK Jewish Chronicle
- Cameron speaks at a UK Conservative Friends of Israel event in June 2007
- Cameron gives interview with the UK Conservative Friends of Israel in 2005
- Cameron cites China and Iran as reason UK should retain nuclear weapons
- Commentary: Cameron refers to “occupied East Jerusalem”
- Jewish online magazine in UK says “conservatives” in Britain offer little difference on Israel from hostile left-of-center parties
- Nick Clegg: “We must stop arming Israel”
- BBC: Clegg calls for condemnation of Israel during Operation Cast Lead war in Gaza in 2009
- UK Telegraph: Nick Clegg’s Israel-bashing is sickening
- Haaretz: Clegg blasted Israel for using “dispprortionate force” against Hamas, opposed Iraq war, opposes use of force against Iran; one member of Clegg’s Liberal Democrat party once said if she were a Palestinian she would have become a suicide bomber, then “called for an investigation into claims that IDF soldiers who were sent to aid Haitian earthquake victims were involved in harvesting body organs from the dead”
You must be logged in to post a comment.