Please accept my apologies for not posting for the last two weeks. My wife and kids and I have been in Israel meeting with various Jewish and Christian leaders, doing some strategic planning with some of the allies of The Joshua Fund, studying the Word of God together, praying for Israeli and Palestinians, doing some humanitarian relief work, catching up with dear friends, and criss-crossing that beautiful country.
It was a fascinating time and I have much to share with you. Unfortunately, the wireless service at the apartment we were using wasn’t working so I wasn’t able to post along the way. But I will begin posting reports over the next few days.
For now, here are a few of the news stories that I have been tracking while we were in the epicenter:
- Bloomberg: Israeli waters may hold large oil reserves — “The Israeli partners in a U.S.-led consortium developing a natural gas field off the Mediterranean coast say that up to 4.2 billion barrels of oil may lie under the seafloor in Israeli waters. If confirmed, the find would mark the first significant oil reserves for Israel.”
- NYT coverage of the commencement of direct peace talks between Netanyahu and Abbas
- Haaretz coverage behind the scenes of the peace talks in Washington
- George Will: In the Mideast, the peace process is only a mirage
- Analysis: Palestinian leaders Abbas & Fayyad: Do They Have a Mandate?
- Analysis: Will an Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank mean a safe haven for extremist groups?
- 4 Israelis shot dead in West Bank
- Two Israelis wounded in second West Bank shooting attack in two days
- Injured Israeli recounts shooting attack: Miracle we’re alive
- West Bank Shooting of Israelis Underscores Security Needs, Netanyahu Says
- Names of shooting attack’s victims released
- PLO Ambassador to Iran Hopes to See “Complete Eradication” of Israel
- Deputy FM Ayalon: PA ministers inciting, encouraging terror
- Israeli Ambassador to U.S. Michael Oren: Reason for optimism in Mideast talks
- Israel working to thwart Russia arms deal with Syria: Netanyahu asks Putin to stop deal involving sale of advanced P-800 Yakhont supersonic cruise missiles; Israel considers this weaponry dangerous to its navy vessels in Mediterranean Sea
- Egypt might host second round of Mideast peace talks
- Hezbollah chief calls on Lebanon to build nuclear reactor