Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad plans to come to New York City next week for his annual pilgrimmage to the opening of the U.N. General Assembly’s fall session. He is expected to once again pray for Allah to “hasten” the coming of the “Twelfth Imam” or the “Promised One.” He may also call for a “new world order,” after making such a call during a summit this week with African leaders.
Meanwhile, Israeli Prime Minister may also be in the U.S. next, according to an Israeli media account, though it is not likely the two will cross paths. “Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu will fly to Washington DC Sunday, in a surprising development reported by Channel 1 national television Tuesday evening. The station’s political reporter Ayala Hasson said the trip is ‘90% certain’ to take place and that it seems to reflect some kind of political development, but that the nature of the development is not known.”
Netanyahu and Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas met met in the resort town of Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt Tuesday for round two of their direct peace talks. They are expected to meet again in Jerusalem on Wednesday.
The two leaders “discussed ‘core issues’ of a possible solution to the decades-long conflict over the Land of Israel,” reported Israel National News. “The term ‘core issues’ usually refers to Israeli concessions, including the status of Jerusalem and the holy sites within it, as well as final borders and the Arab demand that descendants of Arab residents who fled decades ago be allowed into Israel. Before the meeting, Netanyahu had insisted that recognition of Israel as a Jewish state and addressing security issues were the primary issues for Israel.”
I’ll post some analysis tomorrow.
- Ahmadinejad to visit NY for UN meeting
- Ahmadinejad says Iran, Africa wants new world order
- Ahmadinejad won’t attend disarmament meeting
- Ahmadinejad: Quran burning Zionist plot
- Ahmadinejad: Koran burning will bring about Israel’s annihilation
- American woman freed by Iran after bail deal
- Netanyahu to Abbas: Don’t let end of settlement freeze foil peace talks: Prime Minister considering trip to U.S. on Saturday for summit organized by Bill Clinton at which Abbas will also be present; Netanyahu would meet with Obama after summit.
- Netanyahu hints at settlement construction limits
- Abbas to meet with Netanyahu in Jerusalem
- (interesting): Abbas to Ahmadinejad: Mind Your Own Business — “After Iran’s Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took the Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to task for participating in peace talks with Israel, Abbas had a message for Iran: Butt out. The Palestinian president went even further in a statement released by his spokesman, essentially calling Ahmadinejad an illegitimate leader who oppresses his own people….”