(Washington, D.C.) — The Obama administration and the rest of the P5+1 leaders are adamant that the interim nuclear deal on the table is:
A) the best that can be accomplished; and
B) will make it much harder for Iran to build the Bomb.
Are either of these things true?
Not according to a former senior IAEA nuclear official who says Iran could break the deal at any time and be just two to three weeks away from building operational nuclear warheads.
“One day before Iran began implementing its nuclear deal with world powers, a former United Nations watchdog said the Islamic Republic would only be two to three weeks away from a nuclear weapon if the agreement were broken,” reports Haaretz.
“Olli Heinonen, former deputy director general of the International Atomic Energy Agency, appeared on a Sunday radio show, where he discussed recent remarks from Iran’s top nuclear negotiator,” the Israeli daily newspaper noted. “Abbas Araghchi said last week that Iran could resume enriching uranium to levels prohibited by the nuclear deal in one day’s time. Heinonen told Aaron Klein’s WABC Radio show that it would take Iran ‘two, three weeks to have enough uranium hexafluoride high-enriched for one single weapon.'”….
“If [Iran] in reality [breaks the deal] tomorrow, they still have quite a substantial stock of uranium hexafluoride, which is enriched to 20 percent,” said Heinonen. “So if this all happens in the next, let’s say, weeks, this is really true. They can start to produce 20-percent enriched uranium….They have to put perhaps some 6,000 centrifuges to work in this kind of a mode.
“If they do that, which they can technically do, it will take certainly a little bit more than one night to do. But then once they have sorted it out, it would take about two, three weeks to have enough uranium hexafluoride high-enriched for one single weapon,” Heinonen added.
- Follow on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg
- Order Damascus Countdown – a New York Times best-selling novel about an Israeli first strike on Iran’s nuclear program — now available in paperback, online and in bookstores nationwide
- Listen to Damascus Countdown as an audio book.
- Order the paperback of The Tehran Initiative
- Order the paperback of The Twelfth Imam
- Learn more about The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net) – educating and mobilizing Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, and caring for the poor and needy with food and other humanitarian relief – read our 2013 Donor Report, and make a year-end, tax deductible, secure on-line contribution
You must be logged in to post a comment.