As we head deeper into the new year, how are you investing your life?
According to the Scriptures, every Christian needs to be able to answer two simple questions:
1) Who is investing in you? and
2) In whom are you investing?
In the Great Commission found in Matthew 28:18-20, our Lord Jesus Christ commanded us to go and “make disciples of all nations.”
Jesus made disciples. Then He told His disciples to go make disciples.
The Apostle Paul then followed Christ’s model.
Are we obeying the Great Commission? Are we, like Paul, following Christ’s model?
We each need an “Apostle Paul,” an older, wiser believer to invests in us, teaches us, encourages us, corrects us, and helps us truly grow to maturity in our faith in Jesus Christ. We also need a “Timothy,” a younger believer in whom we can invest, someone we can teach, encourage, correct and help to truly grow in the faith.
Sadly, the American Church is experiencing an epic failure of discipleship. Most older believers are not spiritually investing in the lives of younger believers. We are failing to model and transmit Biblical truth and Christ-like character and a passion for evangelism and discipleship to the next generations. Thus the American Church is weak and failing and in desperate need of revival.
The good news is that the Lord is stirring the hearts of many around the country to rediscover the centrality of the Great Commission, and to begin engaging in making disciples here in our nation, and making disciples of all nations.
How about you? Are you living the invested life?
If so, wonderful!
If not, here are some resources you might find helpful:
- 10 minute video discussion about the importance of discipleship
- Audio of all the messages given at the “Living The Invested Life” conference
- Message #1: What Is Discipleship? (notes from the “Living The Invested Life” conference)
- Message #2: How Do I Make Disciples? (notes from the “Living The Invested Life” conference)
- Message #3: What Is The Cost of Discipleship? (Notes from the “Living The Invested Life Conference)
- “The Invested Life” book on discipleship now available on audio.
You must be logged in to post a comment.