(Denver, Colorado) — What if an American President fundamentally miscalculated and inadvertently allowed Iran to build not just a single nuclear warhead but a small arsenal of nuclear missiles?
What if an Iranian leader — driven by his Shia End Times theology — believed that the only way to hasten the coming of the Islamic messiah (known as the Twelfth Imam), establish a global caliphate and bring about the End of Days was to launch nuclear attacks to annihilate Israel (the “little Satan”) and the U.S. (the “great Satan”).
What if an American President then tried to pressure an Israeli Prime Minister not to launch a preemptive military strike on Iran’s nuclear program, but the Prime Minister decided to order the attack anyway? What might such an attack look like? How might it unfold? And what might be the blowback? Would Iran, Hezbollah and Hamas rain missiles down on the Jewish State, and unleash waves of suicide bombers against Israel and her allies? How would Israel counter such a retaliatory strike?
These are the questions I explored in a trilogy of political thrillers several years ago, starting with The Twelfth Imam, continuing with The Tehran Initiative, and concluding with Damascus Countdown.
If you have never read the series before, I’d encourage you to read them this summer and encourage your family and friends to read them, too. For a limited time, you can order the novels directly from my publisher, Tyndale, for just $5 each. And there are big discounts for bulk orders. To learn more — or to order directly — please click here.
I wish I could say the novels were merely fictional speculation on a highly unlikely scenario. But the events of the past few weeks have, I’m afraid, increased the possibility that such an Israeli first strike on Iran’s nuclear program could actually happen. Consider the following:
- Only July 14th, the international community concluded what they called an “historic” deal, and Iran reaffirmed “that it will under no circumstances ever seek, develop or acquire any nuclear weapons.”
- On July 20th, the United Nations Security Council unanimously endorsed the nuclear deal with Iran negotiated by President Obama and the P5+1 powers — known as the “Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) — and set the stage for the “eventual removal” of all economic sanctions on Iran.
- But as soon as the U.N. made the deal international law, Iran’s foreign minister said that Iran would never allow U.N. inspectors into its military facilities to see if they were working on nuclear weapons.
- Meanwhile, Congress has 60 days to review the deal and render its judgment, and Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu has just sent two of his most senior advisors — including Israel’s Defense Minister — to Washington to persuade Congress to vote down the deal (and override an expected Presidential veto, if necessary).
- Netanyahu is also publicly warning war with Iran has been made more likely by the dangerous deal the P5+1 struck with Tehran.
- 47% of Israelis now say they would support preemptive military strikes on Iran to keep the mullahs from getting The Bomb.
One of the key questions — in the novel series, and now in real life — is whether the CIA would really know if and when and where Iran began building nuclear warheads, and could they discover such developments early enough for the U.S. to act decisively to neutralize the Iranian threat?
And if the U.S. didn’t detect an Iranian nuclear breakout — or did but wouldn’t take decisive action — would Israel?
Given the disturbing trend lines in the Middle East right now, I hope you’ll find this trilogy of novels both riveting and informative.
- “Israel, Iran & ISIS: What’s next?” I’ll be speaking about this in Denver on August 6th) — register today for tickets to the event.
- Is Bible prophecy relevant for our troubled times? (7 videos from a seminar I co-taught with Anne Graham Lotz on Bible prophecy.)
- Order Implosion: Can American Recover From Its Economic & Spiritual Challenges In Time?
- Order The Third Target today.
- Order The Twelfth Imam, The Tehran Initiative and/or Damascus Countdown for just $5 each — a limited time offer.
- Learn more about The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net) – educating and mobilizing Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, and caring for the poor and needy with food and other humanitarian relief – read our latest Donor Report, and make a tax deductible, secure, on-line contribution.
- I’m excited to announce The Joshua Fund’s 2015 “Prayer & Vision Tour of the Holy Land.” Come with me and walk where Jesus, the apostles and the prophets walked. Study the Word of God. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem and all the people of the epicenter. Meet and worship with local believers. Serve the poor and vulnerable. Discover the Lord afresh, and even be baptized in the Jordan River. This is a journey that could change your life! Here are the details.
- Follow on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg
- Receive every blog post automatically via the RSS feed.
You must be logged in to post a comment.