UPDATE ON MONDAY, APRIL 18:
- Jerusalem bus blown up in terror attack, injuring at least 21 — Hamas praises attack but doesn’t claim responsibility. (Times of Israel
- IDF thwarts major terrorist attack by discovering — and destroying — new Hamas attack tunnel running from Gaza, under the security fence, into Israel proper. (Ynet News)
(Central Israel) — After a six-month spate of stabbings, fire-bombing, shootings and other attacks by Palestinian terrorists, there is finally some good news to report.
The latest data from Shin Bet, Israel’s equivalent of the American FBI, show a “significant decline in the scope of terrorist attacks,” Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu noted this week.
So far in April, there have been “only” three significant terror attacks. In March, there were 20. Last October, there were 78, reported the Times of Israel.
The downward trend is the result of a combination of more effective work by Israeli security services in arresting terror plotters before they strike, fast reaction operations to track down and capture terrorists after they strike, and efforts to convince Palestinian young people that there is no benefit to them by engaging in such violence.
It should also be noted that the Palestinian Authority (PA) security forces — to their credit — have been working hard to prevent terror attacks, as well.
“The Shin Bet said it had foiled a number of attacks, including 25 kidnapping attacks and 15 suicide attacks,” the Times reported. “It noted Hamas and other Palestinian terror groups has been trying to carry out such attacks. Alongside activities to stop Palestinian attacks the Shin Bet also focused on countering Jewish terror threats, it said. Over the weekend PA security forces said they foiled a major terror attack by arresting three Palestinians who were heading to Israel carrying grenades and a gun.”
Here’s the latest data on Palestinian attacks against Israeli civilians and security forces:
- March — 123
- February — 155
- January — 169
- December 2015 — 246
“Most of the attacks in the tally were fire-bombings, but the data also covered stabbings, car-ramming attacks, gunfire, improvised bombs and grenades as well as projectile fire from the Gaza Strip,” AFP reported.
The Times of Israel reported this week that over the past six months, “29 Israelis, two Americans, and two others” have been killed. “Over the same time, at least 188 Palestinians have died by Israeli fire. Israel says most were attackers, and the rest died in clashes with security forces.”
Please continue to pray for the restoration of calm in Israel, and throughout the Palestinian-controlled territories. Pray for leaders on both sides to have wisdom in how best to restore — and maintain — calm. Please also continue praying for the victims and their families, as they continue to grieve and heal from their traumas.
- Order The First Hostage today — the new political thriller about ISIS plotting a chemical weapons attack against Israel, Jordan and the United States — is available in hardcover, e-book and audio formats.
- Subscribe (free) to the RSS feed (click here) and receive every new posting on this blog directly via email.
- Order THE THIRD TARGET today , the first in this new series — now out in paperback — the New York Times best-selling novel about ISIS capturing chemical weapons in Syria and plotting genocidal attacks.
- Make an investment in The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net), our non-profit organization to help Christians care for Syrian refugees, educate and mobilize Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, care for the poor and needy in Israel (both Jews and Arabs) with food and other humanitarian relief, care for Holocaust survivors, and strengthen the Church in the epicenter. Read our latest Donor Report, and make a tax deductible, secure, on-line contribution before the end of the year.
- Follow on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg
You must be logged in to post a comment.