The worst mass shooting incident in American history — 50 dead, 53 wounded — took place in Orlando, Florida this morning, and federal authorities are already describing it as a “terror incident.”
The question is whether the ghastly attack on an LGBT nightclub was an act of domestic terror, or one motivated by Radical Islam.
Federal authorities say the shooter — Omar Saddiqui Mateen, 29, of Port St. Lucie (who was shot and killed by police on the scene) — was a U.S. citizen, born to parents from Afghanistan. One news report indicated that twice in recent years the FBI has investigated Mateen but found no reason to prosecute.
Let’s give law enforcement time to properly investigate this act of evil before we draw conclusions about Mateen’s motives.
But it should be noted that the horrific attack comes days after a spokesman for the Islamic State called for lone wolf terror attacks in the U.S. and Europe.
“Ramadan [is] the month of conquest and jihad,” said Abu Mohammed Al-Adnani in a recently released audio recording. “Get prepared, be ready…to make it a month of calamity everywhere for the non-believers…especially for the fighters and supporters of the caliphate in Europe and America.”
I categorically condemn this act of unjustified terrorism against the LGBT community. All American citizens, residents and visitors — all, regardless of who they are and what they believe — have the right to life. Indeed, I hope all Christians will condemn this act and that we’ll all be praying for the families and friends of those killed, and praying for full recoveries for those wounded.
Let us also all be praying for our national leaders that they would be clear-eyed and resolute in fighting terrorism of all kinds and all motivations, including that driven by Radical Islam and Apocalyptic Islam.
Whatever Mateen’s background, associations and motives turn out to be, I believe ISIS, al Qaeda and other terror groups are Hell-bent on unleashing more and larger terrorist attacks inside the American homeland. May our leaders fully and truly understand the nature of the evil we are facing lest they be blindsided by it.
- Order The First Hostage today — the new political thriller about ISIS plotting a chemical weapons attack against Israel, Jordan and the United States — available in hardcover, e-book and audio formats.
- Subscribe (free) to the RSS feed (click here) and receive every new posting on this blog directly via email.
- Order THE THIRD TARGET today , the first in this new series — now out in paperback — the New York Times best-selling novel about ISIS capturing chemical weapons in Syria and plotting genocidal attacks on the U.S. and our Mideast allies.
- Make an investment in The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net), our non-profit organization to help Christians care for Syrian refugees, educate and mobilize Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, care for the poor and needy in Israel (both Jews and Arabs) with food and other humanitarian relief, care for Holocaust survivors, and strengthen the Church in the epicenter. Read our latest Donor Report, and prayerfully consider making a tax deductible, secure, on-line contribution. Thanks so much!
- Follow on Twitter — @joelcrosenberg
You must be logged in to post a comment.