(Jerusalem, Israel) — God forbid that life should imitate art.
“As over 40 world leaders gather in Jerusalem this week to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz at the event Remembering the Holocaust: Fighting Antisemitism, the Palestinian Authority wants to disrupt the ceremony,” reports the Palestinian Media Watch. “The official P.A. daily published an op-ed yesterday literally calling for murder in order to ruin the ceremony.”
“One shot will disrupt the ceremony and one dead body will cancel the ceremony,” argued Palestinian columnist Yahya Rabah. To read the full quote, please click here.
Such a threat — especially one published in an official daily paper — is unconscionable. It should be widely and firmly denounced by the Palestinian leadership and all who seek peace. Yet it underscores the urgency of getting Palestinians and Israelis back into direct peace talks, something the White House insists it is determined to do.
In the meantime, Israeli Foreign Minister Israel Katz says the 5th Annual World Holocaust Forum will be “the biggest event since the establishment of the state.” With it comes the biggest security and logistical operation here since 1948.
With Vice President Mike Pence, Russian President Vladimir Putin, British Crown Prince Charles and 43 other world leaders arriving in the next 48 hours, thousands of Israeli police officers, border guards, soldiers, intelligence officers and counter-terrorism commandos will be deployed this week. Their mission: to secure Ben Gurion International Airport, all roads into Jerusalem, the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial site where the main events will be held, all the hotels where the delegations will be staying and all the venues that will host side events and prevent any possible terror plots.
Most Israelis are thrilled to see our capital the epicenter of global attention this week. Some, however, are chafing at all the road blocks, road closures and security checkpoints that will disrupt daily life for hundreds of thousands of people. But it’s all necessary. The last thing Israel can afford is a security breach at a moment like this.
That said, the newly published threat is eerily evocative of my forthcoming political thriller, The Jerusalem Assassin. In it, the American President calls for a peace summit in Jerusalem. Leaders converge on the Holy City. Israeli forces are deployed to protect them. A shadowy and previously unknown terror group is planning for the unthinkable. And Special Agent Marcus Ryker and his team have just 48 hours to hunt down and stop the terrorists before events spin out of control. The novel releases on March 17th. More details as we get closer.
In the meantime, please join me in praying for the “peace of Jerusalem” — let’s especially pray that this week will be quiet and everyone who comes and goes will be safe. Thanks.
- To pre-order my next thriller, THE JERUSALEM ASSASSIN, please click here.
- To buy copies of THE PERSIAN GAMBLE in paperback, please click here.
- To buy copies of THE KREMLIN CONSPIRACY in paperback, please click here.
- Give your family a trip to Israel & Egypt in 2020! Join Lynn and me on The Joshua Fund’s “Prayer & Vision Trip” next October. Here are all the details and prices. Register today.
- Would you like to make a secure, tax deductible donation to The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net)? Come help us educate and mobilize Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, strengthen the Church in the Epicenter, preach the Gospel, teach the Word of God, care for the poor and needy in Israel (both Jews and Arabs) with food and other humanitarian relief, care for Holocaust survivors, and care for Syrian and Iraqi refugees and others. The Joshua Fund is a member in good standing of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. Please click here to learn more. Thanks so much.