Today, we remember the horrific attacks by al-Qaeda on New York, Washington and Pennsylvania and all the effort that has been made to defeat — or at least contain — the forces of Radical Islam.
But fourteen years after 9/11, the nature of the threats we face in and from the Middle East have significantly changed. The forces of Radical Islam still pose a serious danger, to be sure. But an even more serious threat is emerging from a movement I call “Apocalyptic Islam,” led by Iran and ISIS.
While I have raised such issues in a range of novels over the years — from The Twelfth Imam to The Third Target (and its forthcoming sequel, The First Hostage) — it is vital at this moment for the public and our leaders to understand the facts. Indeed, much of the confusion in Washington over just how dangerous the Iran nuclear deal is stems from a deep misunderstanding of what is truly motivating the leaders in Tehran.
Thus, in this column published today by National Review, I explain what Apocalyptic Islam is, how the Shia and Sunni versions are similar and how they differ, who believes it, and why it matters. I also ask, “Do U.S. policymakers and the presidential candidates understand the nature of this threat? If they do, they should explain how they would counter it before it’s too late.”
This week, I have also published two fact sheets that provide more details:
- FACT SHEET: The Iranian Leadership’s Apocalyptic Beliefs
- FACT SHEET: The Islamic State’s Apocalyptic Beliefs
Given the seriousness of the threats facing us, I hope you find such material helpful.
Fourteen years ago — on September 11, 2001 — America was blindsided by the forces of radical Islam. Pre-9/11, American leaders rightly understood that the vast majority of the world’s Muslims were generally peace-loving people who posed no threat to our homeland. But they failed to adequately comprehend, much less counter, the theology, political ideology, and operational strategy of men like Osama bin Laden.
- History will remember what Senate Majority Leader McConnell does now. Will he handle the Iran deal as a foreign treaty in keeping with the Constitution? Or will he surrender?
- It’s not too late for the Senate to stop the President’s dangerous Iran deal from becoming U.S. law. Here’s how to follow the Constitution.
- My latest Fox News interview on the Iran nuclear deal and what Israel may do next.
- FACT SHEET: Why is the Iran nuclear treaty so dangerous?
- Pre-order your copies of THE FIRST HOSTAGE now in hardcover, e-book or audio formats — it releases on December 29, 2015
- Order The Third Target today — the New York Times best-selling novel about ISIS capturing chemical weapons in Syria and plotting genocidal attacks.
- To read The Twelfth Imam series — a trilogy of novels I wrote about an American President pressuring an Israeli Prime Minister not to launch unilateral military strikes against Iran, but Israel feeling forced to do so anyway — please click here.
- Order Implosion: Can American Recover From Its Economic & Spiritual Challenges In Time?
- Follow on Twitter — @joelcrosenbergReceive every blog post automatically via the RSS feed.
- Invest in The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net), our non-profit organization to educate and mobilize Christians to bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, care for the poor and needy with food and other humanitarian relief, and strengthen the Church in the epicenter. Read our latest Donor Report, and make a tax deductible, secure, on-line contribution.
- There is still time to sign up for The Joshua Fund’s 2015 “Prayer & Vision Tour of the Holy Land.” Come with me and walk where Jesus, the apostles and the prophets walked. Study the Word of God. Pray for the peace of Jerusalem and all the people of the epicenter. Meet and worship with local believers. Serve the poor and needy. Discover the Lord afresh, and even be baptized in the Jordan River. This is a journey that could change your life! Here are the details.