(Jerusalem, Israel) — With the coronavirus pandemic worsening, the death toll climbing, and more than half the world in lockdown, even those in the secular media are writing about how Americans are viewing the crisis in spiritual terms, and whether any of this has to do with Bible prophecy.
I’ve been encouraged that in the last few days, a number of major media outlets — in the U.S. and here in Israel — have covered the poll that The Joshua Fund commissioned.
It’s too soon, in my view, to know whether a spiritual awakening is coming. But clearly, tens of millions of Americans are asking questions and searching the Bible and Christian teaching for answers and this is a dramatic and important development.
Please take some time to read these articles and share them with family and friends on social media. (see below for links to the full post on The Joshua Fund’s website)
- The Apocalypse as an ‘Unveiling’: What religion teaches us about the End Times (New York Times)
- Millions of Americans say coronavirus a ‘wake up call’ from God. A stunning 44% of Americans polled said they “see the global coronavirus and economic meltdown” as “a wake up call for us to turn back to faith in God,” as “signs of coming judgment.” (an column I wrote for The Jerusalem Post)
- Poll: 29% see Biblical ‘last days,’ 44% say virus is God’s ‘wake-up call’ (Washington Examiner)
- Study: Droves of Americans are turning to prayer in the face of COVID-19 fear and uncertainty (The Blaze)
- Exclusive new poll shows COVID-19 creating enormous spiritual interest (Religion News Service)
As I noted earlier this week, these are no ordinary times. Americans in near full lockdown are anxious, and understandably so. Yet millions are turning to God, the Bible and Christian sermons for answers, some of them for the first time. That may be the most important silver lining in this crisis so far.
In response to these results, The Joshua Fund has published “What Does The Bible Teach About Pestilence, Plagues & Global Pandemics?”, a 12-page fact sheet derived from insight from a number of senior pastors, theologians and seminary professors. It can be found at http://www.joshuafund.com.
The full survey is also posted on The Joshua Fund website at https://www.joshuafund.com/.
I hope that you and your family will gather together daily to pray for God to have mercy on us all.
“Go, my people, enter your rooms and shut the doors behind you; hide yourselves for a little while until his wrath has passed by.” (Isaiah 26:20)
- Would you like to make a secure, tax deductible donation to The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net)? At this unprecedented moment of crisis, would you help us bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, strengthen the Church in the Epicenter, care for the poor and needy and those unemployed and shut-in’s in Israel (both Jews and Arabs) with food and other humanitarian relief, teach the Word of God, answer spiritual questions, educate the Church about the importance of Bible prophecy and strengthen struggling congregations and ministries in the Epicenter? The Joshua Fund is a member in good standing of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. Please click here to learn more. Thanks.