(Jerusalem, Israel) — To put it mildly, some of the political allies that were once closest and most loyal to Benny Gantz are livid that he has formed a national unity government with their mortal enemy, Benjamin Netanyahu.
Yair Lapid, for example, charges that Gantz is perpetrating “the worst act of fraud in the history of this country” by agreeing to work with Netanyahu.
Lapid apologized “to all those people who I convinced to vote for Benny Gantz and Blue and White this past year. I didn’t believe that they would steal your vote and give it to Netanyahu, that they would use your vote to form the fifth Netanyahu government.”
That said, frustrated and exhausted by three national elections in one year, most Israelis are very supportive of the deal and want it to work.
“Sixty-two percent of Israelis support the newly agreed upon Likud-Blue and White unity government, while just 22% oppose it, according to a survey released Tuesday,” reported the Times of Israel.
Other key findings:
- “The coalition deal inked Monday between Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Blue and White chief Benny Gantz was supported by 80% of Likud voters and 57% of Blue and White voters, the Channel 13 poll found….
- “However, only 31% of respondents believed Netanyahu would honor the rotation deal requiring him vacate the Prime Minister’s Office; 41% believe he won’t do so and 23% said they don’t know.
- “Finally, 48% believe Gantz gave up more to strike the deal, while 25% said Netanyahu made greater concessions.
- “Channel 13 polled 710 Israelis and the survey had a 3.7% margin of error.”
I have no idea if this new government can work. But I certainly hope so. The country needs unity right now, not more partisan division.
Please continue to pray for Israel’s leaders to know best how to help Israel defeat the coronavirus, reboot the economy, and to effectively deal with a range of other threats, including from Iran, Hezbollah and Hamas. Thanks.
- To order THE JERUSALEM ASSASSIN in hardcover, e-book or audio formats, please click here.
- To buy copies of THE PERSIAN GAMBLE in paperback, e-book or audio, please click here.
- To buy copies of THE KREMLIN CONSPIRACY please click here.
- Would you like to make a secure, tax deductible donation to The Joshua Fund (www.joshuafund.net)? At this unprecedented moment of crisis, would you help us bless Israel and her neighbors in the name of Jesus, strengthen the Church in the Epicenter, care for the poor and needy and those unemployed and shut-in’s in Israel (both Jews and Arabs) with food and other humanitarian relief, teach the Word of God, answer spiritual questions, educate the Church about the importance of Bible prophecy and strengthen struggling congregations and ministries in the Epicenter? The Joshua Fund is a member in good standing of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability. Please click here to learn more. Thanks.