>> Libya signs $1.8 billion arms deal with Russia
>> Canadian company makes new discovery of up to 6 trillion cubic feet of natural gas off coast of Israel
On Monday, Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu welcomed Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and the Italian cabinet for a series of joint meetings with the Israeli cabinet. He also hosted a gala dinner for the Italian delegation at the King David Hotel in Jerusalem. Netanyahu described the leader from Rome as “one of Israel’s greatest friends, a courageous leader who is a great champion of freedom and a great supporter of peace.” Netanyahu said this despite the fact that the Associated Press reports Italy is the leading trading partner with Iran in the E.U.
Berlusconi was one of only three leaders in Western Europe who voted against the anti-Israel U.N. resolution last fall regarding the Goldstone Commission Report (the other two were German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Netherlands Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende). Rome was Netanyahu’s first stop on his first trip to Europe upon becoming Prime Minister in 2009, specifically to see Berlusconi. Likewise, Avigdor Lieberman headed straight to Rome to see Berlusconi as his first trip as Israeli Foreign Minister.
“I can think of very few nations who have made such a contribution to Western culture as our two nations. In Rome and Jerusalem, the foundations for Western culture were laid,” Netanyahu said Monday night.
Berlusconi, who brought eight senior members of his government, returned the compliment saying that Rome considers Jerusalem one of its closest allies and considers Israel a part of Europe. “As long as I am one of the shapers of politics,” the Roman leader stated, “my greatest dream is to include Israel among the European Union countries.” He invited Netanyahu to come to Italy for another round of meetings.
The meetings were described by some in the media as “historic.” They also had echoes of Bible prophecy. The Hebrew Prophet Daniel indicates that in the “last days” Israel will sign a peace treaty with her many neighbors that appears to be brokered or negotiated or confirmed in some way by a leader from Rome (see Daniel chapter nine). It’s too soon to say definitively that yesterday’s events were in any way part of those prophecies, but they were certainly intriguing to those tracking geopolitical events in light of End Times prophecies. Developing….
HEADLINES TO TRACK:
- AFP: Berlusconi says Israel should join EU
- AP: Berlusconi: Bring Israel into the EU
- Gulf Times: Berlusconi on “historic visit” to Israel
- Flashback to 2006: Time quotes Berlusconi saying, “I am the Jesus Christ of politics. I sacrifice myself for everyone.”
- Flashback to 2003: [Italian fascist dictator] Mussolini wasn’t that bad, says Berlusconi
- Flashback to 2006: BBC reports, “Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi has made an alliance with the party of the granddaughter of Fascist leader Benito Mussolini”
- Flashback to 2009: Newsweek reports, “Berlusconi clamps down on the press”
- Flashback to 2009: Time reports that Berlusconi’s power is growing despite the sex scandals he is involved with, and quotes the Italian PM saying, “I have never paid a lira, a euro, for sex. I say this also because, for those who love to conquer, the joy and the most beautiful satisfaction are in the conquest. If you have to pay, I ask you, what joy is there?”
LEARN: To sign up for Joel’s (free) Flash Traffic email updates, please click here
- Inside The Revolution (e-book on Kindle)
- Inside The Revolution (hardcover)
- Inside The Revolution (90 min. documentary film on DVD, w/90 min of special features)
- Epicenter 2.0 (paperback)
- Epicenter (60 min. documentary film on DVD, plus special features)
PRAY: To join the “Epicenter Team” on Facebook and track regular prayer requests, please click here
GIVE: Would you like to help The Joshua Fund stand up a new warehouse in Israel; provide food, clothing, medical supplies and other aid to the poor and needy in Israel and the epicenter; stockpile supplies for the next war and/or natural disaster; and educate and mobilize Christians around the world to pray for the peace of Jerusalem? If so, please click here
GO: To attend the April 10th prophecy conference in Orange County, CA where Joel will be speaking along with Tim LaHaye, Lt.-Gen (ret.) Jerry Boykin, Skip Heitzig and Greg Laurie, please click here
You must be logged in to post a comment.